Monday 19 April 2010

12

The automotive coat

There is a little boy in Orkney who's getting a very special coat for his birthday this weekend. His mum told me that he's into automobiles in a major way and together we found this amazing multicoloured vehicle fabric from Riley Blake.


Clearly, living in Orkney means Thinsulate and a hood.


The other side is a mossy green babycord that's so soft I suspect it's made of baby ducklings.


While I'm on the subject of Riley Blake, I think I have a new favourite designer. This fabric is begging me to make a quilt out of it.


And this one is telling me that I need to clean out my garage and start turning regular fabric into oilcloth because it would make the most awesome raincoat ever.


Gratitude to @thatkat for showing me the umbrella fabric. Anyone else have a fabric to lose sleep over?

12 comments:

  1. Love that umbrella fabric! I would love a skirt in that fabric...Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 4 metres of Japanese fabric that I keep taking out and looking at and then putting away again. I don't think I'll ever make anything out of it, because I can't physically cut it :|
    Cool coat btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those coats are too precious! And reversible???

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I need to learn how to make oilcloth. though if you have to clean out a garage to do it then I do not have enough room.

    I have this fabric calling to me like a siren (pun intended) to make a quilt...

    http://www.shorelinehandwerks.com/servlet/the-3468/Resort-Mermaids-Quilt-Fabric/Detail

    ReplyDelete
  5. The coat is awesome. Some little boy is going to be thrilled. I hope no baby ducklings were injured in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the umbrella fabric! And that coat is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my dear god, I adore that road fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found some lovely apple and ice-cream lolly fabric that I made into bibs, the photos are on my blog. The umbrella and car fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great coat! It is so hard to find little boy prints, it seems. The stores are so stockpiled on girls, that it is hard to find any boy stuff through it all.

    For me the only fabric I would lose sleep over is the stuff that is so expensive I can't justify buying it. ;) I've got about a $6/yd limit on regular fabric, but if it's silk I will pay more. Or if it is fabric I designed. Then I will swallow hard and hand over the credit card. ;)

    I just found your blog this past week, and I really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks lovely . alex will love it. is it posted yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter has been wearing that coat this winter :-) http://www.ravelry.com/projects/kermitgirl/lois-winter-hat-2011

    ReplyDelete